Tuesday, April 2, 2013


My Tom died on March 16 at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.  We had been at the hospital for four months due to complications of a bone marrow transplant to combat his myleofibrosis.  We were married for forty one years. He was only 63.  As I posted on the night of his death, he was the love of my life, my rock, my pain and fury and my passion. We spent a life together in all of its permutations and mystery. The result was two great kids, a strong family, and a close knit circle of friends . For Tom this was a life goal as he came from a tough and often abusive household. So his success as a father and a husband were even more remarkable as he had no role models.  As a friend he was unparalleled.
We live on a lovely piece of land in Vermont that was  our dream for retirement.  The property faces south east with a good view of the green mountains . We used to sit on the porch and watch the sunrise every morning while drinking tea.  That has not changed.   There is a lot to do and as Denny a local Vermonter and friend said to me .. Birdie you can still live the dream.  I am going to try to do that but am well aware that the learning curve is steep. 

I am writing this blog as a way to chronicle this next year - partly for myself and  partly to honor this process.  If you reader, happen upon it and find it helpful then i welcome you along on this journey. 


  1. Bird, on behalf of the entire Kellogg Project family, I know that we all mourn with you your loss. It will be a difficult year and I believe this blog will be a wonderful companion as you work your way through it. I and many others will be with you on this journey. Love, Rog

  2. Greetings. I was looking for information online about my old friend and former classmate Tom Stasz and found your blog. I am very sad to learn of Tom's untimely death. In my memory, he was certainly a wonderfully alive and vigorous person. I was privileged to have been in his law school class, but also to get to know him much better when we were both summer associates at Harter Secrest in Rochester, during the summer of 1993. I was 33 years old at the time, and in hindsight, I feel that I wasn't mature enough to adequately appreciate Tom's originality, complexity and spirit of fun and curiosity. I am very sorry to know that he is gone. I remember him very fondly. Sincerely, Josh Barwick